The Cisco CCNA® Exploration curriculum provides an integrated and comprehensive coverage of networking topics, from fundamentals to advanced applications and services, while providing opportunities for hands-on practical experience and soft-skills development.Thecurriculum emphasizes critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, and the practical application of skills in a real world environment. All courses include embedded, highly interactive e-doing activities that stimulate learning and improve knowledge retention, hands-on labs, simulation-based learning activities, and online assessments. CCNA Exploration helps prepare students for entry-level career opportunities, continuing education, and the globally-recognized Cisco CCNA certification. In addition, the courses help provide learning pathways from secondary to postsecondary and higher education institutions.
CCNA Exploration teaches networking based on technology, covering networking concepts using a top-down, theoretical, and integrated approach – from network applications to the network protocols and services provided to those applications by the lower layers of the network. CCNA Exploration includes the following features:
• Students learn the basics of routing, switching, and advanced technologies to prepare for Cisco CCNA certification and entry- level networking careers
• The curriculum discusses networking concepts in depth and uses language that allows for integration with engineering concepts, providing a deep, theoretical understanding of networking concepts for experienced learners with advanced problem- solving and analytical skills.
• Courses emphasize critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, and the practical application of skills
• Rich multimedia content, including Flash-based interactive activities, videos, games, and quizzes, addresses a variety of learning styles and help stimulate learning and increase knowledge retention
• Hands-on labs and Packet Tracer simulation-based learning activities help students develop critical thinking and complex problem solving skills
• Innovative assessments provide immediate feedback to support the evaluation of knowledge and acquired skills
• Provides students with the skills needed to succeed in network- ing-related degree programs
CCNA Exploration is designed for students with advanced problem solving and analytical skills, such as students pursuing degrees in engineering, information technology, math, or science. Students are expected to know binary math and understand the concept of algorithms.
The curriculum offers a comprehensive and theoretical learning experience for analytical students, and uses language that aligns well with engineering concepts. Interactive activities are embedded in the curriculum, along with detailed, theoretical content.
Students progress from structured, easy-to-follow labs to more advanced labs that build critical thinking and problem solving skills and encourage exploration and research. Students may need to rely on additional resources to derive final solutions for the more complex labs.
CCNA Exploration helps students advance their technical knowledge and skills for academic success and career readiness. The curriculum encourages students to continue their education in networking-related degree programs and also prepares students for entry-level networking careers:
• Designed for students who want to pursue additional technology or engineering education
• Prepares students for entry-level IT careers after the completion of the four-course curriculum
This curriculum teaches networking based on technology, using a top-down, theoretical, and integrated approach. The CCNA Exploration curriculum consists of four courses that offer flexibility in the delivery of the courses:
• Network Fundamentals
• Routing Protocols and Concepts
• LAN Switching and Wireless
• Accessing the WAN
Network Fundamentals is the first course and it has no prerequisites. It is a prerequisite for the other three courses. Routing Protocols and Concepts is the preferred second course in the sequence.
Industry Recognized Certification
Students learn the basics of routing, switching, and advanced technologies to help them prepare for the Cisco CCNA® certification exam. The CCNA certification is highly valued in the global networking industry and provides validation of the skills and knowledge required for entry-level networking careers.
Students who complete all four CCNA Exploration courses will be prepared for the industry-standard CCNA certification exam.
The curriculum also helps students develop networking skills and knowledge that extend beyond the minimum requirements for the CCNA certification. CCNA Exploration emphasizes practical experience to help prepare students for entry-level networking and IT careers such as the following:
• Network administrator
• Network engineer
• Network installer
• Network technician
• Help desk technician
Students will be prepared to pursue IT and networking careers in a variety of industries such as healthcare, financial services, fashion, entertainment, and more. Today nearly every company in every industry relies on IT, so the skills learned in CCNA Exploration can provide a powerful foundation for a career in almost any field a student may choose to pursue